Sunday, January 9, 2011

"make hay, while the sun still shines"

My Dad always gives me very wise advice. He is one I look to as a pillar of strength. It's almost like it was engrained in him to say just the right thing at the right time. As time goes on, and I am nearing the end of my collegiate times- he is pouring out old stories from his past and advice on the reg. I love it, and it's also quite hilarious. I appreciate our coffee dates together so much.

Today over our Starbucks lattes Dad reminded me of the phrase, "Make hay, while the sun still shines." Normally these little riddles do I not pay much attention to. However, he explained it in such a wonderful manner. He was saying how the riddle came from when farmers get together hay for the cattle, how the cattle will not eat the hay if it has been at all wet from the rain because the hay will rot and mildew. The cows will not eat it. So the farmers had to gather the hay and roll it before the rain came. 

He reminded me of kind-of adopting this little motto as I enter the last semester of my senior year. You know we never know when the rain is coming, but we can make the most of it and take the opportunities we do have while we have them. Fear of the future is something that has definitely plagued me in recent months, yet that is not what the Lord intended for us. It says in Proverbs 31:25, "She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come." 

gotta make the most out of it, and don't worry about the rest. it'll come when it comes.


No comments:

Post a Comment