Friday, July 9, 2010

Day 10

Last night was a late night, so I didn't have time to get my thoughts down for the day. I woke at 5am and didn't get done until 830pm. Last night I had med clinic duty. There is this most precious child named Melissa in there because she has a skin issue (of some sort). Melissa is one of the most adorable children I have ever met. She is wide open & really smart. She makes me laugh, a lot.

We were just sitting in the rocking chair together watching Shrek in Spanish, when I said, "tu eres mi bella amiga" meaning, "you are my beautiful friend" and she said "no". Note: Remember Melissa is two-years-old, she just got to the Orphanage a week ago. I asked her "Why not?" and she responds, in Spanish of course, "The rash on my face makes me very very ugly." .....

This is two days in a row, that literally one sentence a girl has said has left me there completely broken. How does a two year old even gather that she is ugly? These girls truly do not think they are beautiful, and it honestly kills me. It's something that is engrained in them from early on, seeing as Melissa is only two. I'm not sure where this all stems from, but it's not okay to me. My heart hurts for them and I wish there was something I could do/say to make them believe otherwise. It brings me to my knees though. This is a horrible trend here and I pray its a trend that is broken soon.

Don't get my wrong I love the little chicos (boys) here. However, the Lord is revealing this HUGE break my heart for these girls and their worth. They truly are some of the most beautiful girls I have ever seen, and most of that beauty is radiating from within. I have worked alongside so many true servants, that adore the Lord- they have taught me leaps & bounds, even given our spanglish relationship. And for that I am forever grateful. Please pray for my sweet friends hearts here. They are very dear to me. I am thankful the Lord has given me this beautiful opportunity to gain their friendship. I am confident the Lord will restore what is lost. And I want to a be a part of it. Whatever it takes.

No comments:

Post a Comment